Skip to main content

Test Data Three Ways


You know when you suddenly discover that you have an internal model of a chunk of the world that's been guiding your thinking and behaviour but you never realised? 

I love that.

The most recent instance for me was a couple of weeks ago when asked what problems I have with test data at work. That's when it became obvious that I have three broad categories of test data, and want something different from each of them.

Of course I do! Duh.

And why didn't I realise this before? Not sure. Perhaps I've never framed that kind of high-level abstract question, Maybe more often I'm interested in test data for the actual problem in front of me? Whatever, here's my initial draft of what I think I think...

Data for specific logic. I use this in traditional regression tests that need a static expected result: unit tests, for instance. I see a lot of examples that have clearly grabbed runtime application data that's the right shape and bunged it into the test. This is convenient for the writer but can obscure the test intent and make later understanding and failure investigation more costly.

As I usually want to focus on particular aspects relevant to a specific check, I'll more often apply my Real vs Clear heuristics and curate the data carefully.

Data for performance evaluation. Here I want production(-like) data in whatever dimensions are important for the kind of evaluation I'm after. Say it's a latency test, then I'll probably need to think about data that has a realistic distribution for the scenario I'm testing in terms of variability, size, shape, arrival rate, peak load, and so on.

If I'm not able to see prod data myself I try to work with more privileged people because then at least metrics about the data are obtainable and can be used to create synthetic data.  Whatever the provenance, validation and maintenance of performance test data can be tiresome unless both the data format and the usage patterns are relatively static.  

One other way in which this type of data can be challenging is when it's divided into training and test sets. I understand why but the temptation to peek at the test data can be powerful.

Data for exploration. "What data will drive the application to the state I need for this experiment?" That's a question I ask myself a lot and I have a bunch of ways to approach it, including using data from the two categories above, either directly or as a starting point to iterate from. 

A good knowledge of the application or product, its dependents and dependencies, and the ecosystem it sits in can be helpful because this type of information reveals levers that I can pull to engineer the scenarios I'm interested in. 

I look for access to logging, monitoring, and observability tooling because I can search there to find a pattern indicative of the state I want to get to and then try to work backwards to the data that provoked it. 

The code itself is, of course, a potential source of data but not always an easy one for me to decipher. LLMs are a recent addition to my toolbox and can help enormously, for example to get an idea of the codebase geography, jump to specific logic, and even extract helpers that generate the data I want using the application code as a model. Keep an eye on what they're doing though, eh?  

Another code-based strategy I use is to alter the application to make the state I want easier to reach. This can take many different forms, but includes side-stepping data altogether to throw a specific exception deliberately to force the application into a state, hard-coding or side-loading data from a file I supply so that I can control things very precisely, or forcing use of a mock for dependencies, with the same aim. 

It's also possible to bypass up-front data creation without changing the software by generating it at runtime. When I do this, I am typically going to run many experiments and see if any of them end up in interesting places and be careful to record a lot of detail while my experiment is running so that I can explore it and get back to specific states later.

--00--

Reading this post back, I find it a useful if not very well-defined division. As I already said, I might use unit test data to explore, but I will also explore to make data for static or performance tests and something like property testing straddles the lines. In spite of those fuzzy edges, though, I feel happy I've captured a reasonable chunk of what I didn't know I knew that I can reflect on and refine later.

So I'll stop there for now because, while I'm happy to have got that out of my head, I've already started chewing this over:

What data will drive the application to the state I need? - if you're not asking yourself this on a regular basis, you're not exploring.

It just slipped out when I started writing about data for exploration and now I'm wondering if that's really what I believe, and whether it might actually be true.

Did I mention that I love this stuff? 
Image: Greg Jewett on Unsplash

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Me Halfway?

  The Association for Software Testing is crowd-sourcing a book,  Navigating the World as a Context-Driven Tester , which aims to provide  responses to common questions and statements about testing from a  context-driven perspective . It's being edited by  Lee Hawkins  who is  posing questions on  Twitter ,   LinkedIn , Mastodon , Slack , and the AST  mailing list  and then collating the replies, focusing on practice over theory. I've decided to  contribute  by answering briefly, and without a lot of editing or crafting, by imagining that I'm speaking to someone in software development who's acting in good faith, cares about their work and mine, but doesn't have much visibility of what testing can be. Perhaps you'd like to join me?   --00-- "Stop answering my questions with questions." Sure, I can do that. In return, please stop asking me questions so open to interpretation that any answ...

How do I Test AI?

  Recently a few people have asked me how I test AI. I'm happy to share my experiences, but I frame the question more broadly, perhaps something like this: what kinds of things do I consider when testing systems with artificial intelligence components .  I freestyled liberally the first time I answered but when the question came up again I thought I'd write a few bullets to help me remember key things. This post is the latest iteration of that list. Caveats: I'm not an expert; what you see below is a reminder of things to pick up on during conversations so it's quite minimal; it's also messy; it's absolutely not a guide or a set of best practices; each point should be applied in context; the categories are very rough; it's certainly not complete.  Also note that I work with teams who really know what they're doing on the domain, tech, and medical safety fronts and some of the things listed here are things they'd typically do some or all of. Testing ...

Notes on Testing Notes

Ben Dowen pinged me and others on Twitter last week , asking for "a nice concise resource to link to for a blog post - about taking good Testing notes." I didn't have one so I thought I'd write a few words on how I'm doing it at the moment for my work at Ada Health, alongside Ben. You may have read previously that I use a script to upload Markdown-based text files to Confluence . Here's the template that I start from: # Date + Title # Mission # Summary WIP! # Notes Then I fill out what I plan to do. The Mission can be as high or low level as I want it to be. Sometimes, if deeper context might be valuable I'll add a Background subsection to it. I don't fill in the Summary section until the end. It's a high-level overview of what I did, what I found, risks identified, value provided, and so on. Between the Mission and Summary I hope that a reader can see what I initially intended and what actually...

The Best Programmer Dan Knows

  I was pairing with my friend Vernon at work last week, on a tool I've been developing. He was smiling broadly as I talked him through what I'd done because we've been here before. The tool facilitates a task that's time-consuming, inefficient, error-prone, tiresome, and important to get right. Vern knows that those kinds of factors trigger me to change or build something, and that's why he was struggling not to laugh out loud. He held himself together and asked a bunch of sensible questions about the need, the desired outcome, and the approach I'd taken. Then he mentioned a talk by Daniel Terhorst-North, called The Best Programmer I Know, and said that much of it paralleled what he sees me doing. It was my turn to laugh then, because I am not a good programmer, and I thought he knew that already. What I do accept, though, is that I am focussed on the value that programs can give, and getting some of that value as early as possible. He sent me a link to the ta...

On Herding Cats

Last night I was at the Cambridge Tester meetup for a workshop on leadership. It was a two-parter with Drew Pontikis facilitating conversation about workplace scenarios followed by an AMA with a group of experienced managers. I can't come to work this week, my cat died. Drew opened by asking us what our first thoughts would be as managers on seeing that sentence. Naturally, sadness and sympathy,  followed by a week ? for a cat ? and I only got a day for my gran! Then practicalities such as maybe there's company policy that covers that , and then the acknowledgement that it's contextual: perhaps this was a long-time emotional support animal . Having established that management decisions are a mixture of emotion, logic, and contingency Drew noted that most of us don't get training in management or leadership then split us into small groups and confronted us with three situations to talk through: Setting personal development goals for others. Dropping a clange...

Reasonable Doubt

In Your job is to deliver code you have proven to work  Simon Willison writes: As software engineers we ... need to deliver code that works — and we need to include proof that it works as well.  He is coming at this from the perspective of LLM-assisted coding, but most of what he says applies in general. I think this is a reasonable consise summary of his requirements for developers: Manual happy paths: get the system into an initial state, exercise the code, check that it has the desired effect on the state. Manual edge cases: no advice given, just a note that skill here is a sign of a senior engineer.  Automated tests: should demonstrate the change like Manual happy paths  but also fail if the change is reverted.  He notes that, even though LLM tooling can write automated tests, it's humans who are accountable for the code and it's on us to "include evidence that it works as it should." Coincidentally, just the week before I read his post I told one of my...

Vanilla Flavour Testing

I have been pairing with a new developer colleague recently. In our last session he asked me "is this normal testing?" saying that he'd never seen anything like it anywhere else that he'd worked. We finished the task we were on and then chatted about his question for a few minutes. This is a short summary of what I said. I would describe myself as context-driven . I don't take the same approach to testing every time, except in a meta way. I try to understand the important questions, who they are important to, and what the constraints on the work are. With that knowledge I look for productive, pragmatic, ways to explore whatever we're looking at to uncover valuable information or find a way to move on. I write test notes as I work in a format that I have found to be useful to me, colleagues, and stakeholders. For me, the notes should clearly state the mission and give a tl;dr summary of the findings and I like them to be public while I'm working not just w...

Why Test, Test What, Then How?

There was a time when testing was all about the mnemonics . Well, we had no AI back then so thinking about our human craft and how to share what we had learned using our human intelligence with other engaged humans for later recall in their human heads seemed important. But this post isn't about dumping on AI. It isn't about mnemonics either even if WTTWTH does look like something that'd fit well into that ancient world.  No, this post is just a snappier version of what I said to my team this week when I was walking through some testing I'd done the day before. It was concerned with a change to a particular turn in the dialog system we're building where multiple variables are in play, some populated by an external call to an LLM service.  I wanted to make the point that the bulk of the testing work was done in the research I did and the spreadsheet I made, not in the interaction with our product. That spreadsheet was the result of me looking in our service's cod...

LLEWT 2024

This weekend I was at LLEWT 2024, a peer conference on Anglesey , north Wales, discussing communication. Given the day jobs of the participants, it was no surprise that the experience reports and the conversations that followed them mostly focussed on software development contexts.  Notes from my presentation are in Express, Listen, and Field . I made sketchnotes (below) for each presentation and a mindmap (above) to try to summarise the whole. Without much reflection yet, I guess I would pull these common high-level threads from the day: There are multiple reasons that communication fails  ... like, duh! ... but having multiple strategies for framing a message can help ... and having multiple tactics for delivering a message can help too. Understanding what you want from an interaction is key ... so setting the context to make that more likely is wise ... which might mean meta-conversation, being transparent, or changing your approach...

Exploring It!

This week the test team at Linguamatics held our first internal conference. There was no topic, but three broad categories could be seen in the talks and workshops that were given: experience reports, tooling, and alternative perspectives on our work. (The latter included the life cycle of a bug, and psychology in testing.) My contribution was an experience report looking at how I explore both inside and outside of testing. I've tidied up some of my notes from the prep for it below. There are testing skills that I use elsewhere in my life. Or perhaps there are skills from my life that I bring to testing. Maybe I'm so far down life's road that it's hard to tell quite what started where? Maybe I'm naturally this way and becoming a tester with an interest in improvement amped things up? Maybe I've so tangled up my work, life, and hobby that deciding where one starts and another ends is problematic? The answers to those questions is, I think, almost certai...