Skip to main content

The Anatomy of a Definition of Testing


At CEWT 3 I offered a definition of testing up for discussion. This is it:
Testing is the pursuit of actual or potential incongruity
As I said there, I was trying to capture something of the openness, the expansiveness of what testing is for me: there is no specific technique; it is not limited to the software; it doesn't have to be linear; there don't need to be requirements or expectations; the same actions can contribute to multiple paths of investigation at the same time; it can apply at many levels and those levels can be distinct or overlapping in space and time.
 
And these are a selection of the comments and questions that it prompted before, during and after the event, loosely grouped:

Helicopter view

  • it is sufficiently open that people could buy into it, and read into it, particularly non-testers.
  • it's accurate and to the point.
  • it has the feel of Weinberg's definition of a problem. 
  • it sounds profound but I'm not sure whether there is any depth.
  • it seems very close to the regular notion of targeting information/unknowns.

Coverage

  • can not testing be part of this idea of testing?
  • how does the notion of tacit testing (from CEWT 3 discussion) fit in?
  • Kaner talks about balancing freedom and responsibility in testing. Is that covered here?
  • the definition doesn't talk about risk.

Practical utility

  • it couldn't be used to help someone new to testing decide what to do when testing.
  • I could imagine putting this onto a sticky and trying to align my actions with it.

Definitional

  • what do you mean by pursuit
  • incongruity is too complex a word.
  • what other words could replace testing in the definition and it still hold?
  • when I see or I wonder about whether it's exclusive (in the Boolean sense).

In this post I'm going to talk about just the words. I spent a deal of time choosing my words - and that in itself is a warning sign. If I have to graft to find words whose senses are subtly tuned to achieve just the interpretation that I want, then I worry that others will easily have a different interpretation.

And, despite this being a definition of testing for me, it's interesting to observe how often I appeal to my feelings and desires in the description below. Could the degree of personal investment compromise the possibility of it having general appeal or utility, I wonder.

"pursuit"

Other definitions use words like search, explore, evaluate, investigate, find out, ... I was particularly keen to find a verb that captured two aspects of testing for me: finding out what is there, and digging into what has been found.

What I like about pursuit is that it permits (at least to me) both, and additionally conveys a sense of chasing something which might be elusive, itinerant, latent or otherwise hard to find. Oxford Dictionaries has these definitions, amongst others of pursue:
  • follow or chase (someone or something)
  • continue to investigate or explore (an idea or argument)

These map onto my two needs in ways that other verbs don't:
  • search: feels more about the former and less about the latter.
  • investigate: feels more natual when there's a thing to investigate.
  • explore: could possibly do duty for me (and it's popular in testing definitions) but exploratory testing can be perceived as cutting out other kinds of testing and I don't want that interpretation.
  • evaluate: needs data; pursuit can gather data.
  • find out: feels like it has finality in it. To reflect the fact that testing is unlikely to be complete I'd want to say something like "Testing is the attempt to find out about actual or potential incongruity"

"incongruity"

As one of the criticisms of my definition points out, this word is not part of most people's standard lexicon. Oxford Dictionaries says that it means this:
 Not in harmony or keeping with the surroundings or other aspects of something.
I like it because it permits nuance in the degree to which something needs to be out of place: it could be completely wrong, or just feel a bit odd in its context. But the price I pay for the nuance is the lack of common currency. On balance I accepted this in order to keep the definition short.

"actual or potential"

I felt unhappy with a definition that didn't include this, such as:
Testing is the pursuit of incongruity
because I wanted testing's possibilities to include suggesting that there might be a problem. If the definition of incongruity I am using permitted possible disharmony then I'd have been happier with this shorter variant.

I have subsequently realised that I am, to some extent, reflecting a testing/checking distinction here too: a check with fixed expectations can find actual incongruity while testing could in addition find potential incongruity.

However, the entire definition is, for me, in the context of the relative rule - so any incongruities of any kind are tied to a context, person, time - and also the need to govern the actions in the pursuit by some notions of what is important to the people who are important to whatever is being tested.

But, even given that, I still find it hard to accept the definition without potential. Perhaps because it flags the lack of certainty inherent in much testing.
Image: https://flic.kr/p/6Hkgyy

Edit: Olekssii Burdin wrote his own definition of testing after reading this, and Harnessed Tester offers his here too.

Comments

  1. Hi James,
    You've said that this is a definition for you, so I'd say it's perfectly logical to encompass, within the stated definition of "incongruity", your own internal source of dissonance that inspires the "Is there a problem here" question in the first place. In that sense the distinction is not between actual and potential as a property of the incongruity. It is, as you noted, a distinction in terms of the perception of the incongruity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dan,

      I've been thinking some more about "actual or potential" and wondering whether I'd be comfortable instead with "relevant" which (a) removes the clumsiness and (b) brings in an element of the subjective nature.

      Delete
  2. Thank you James,
    I find your definition quite romantic. But this makes it inspiring :-)
    And I translated my post to English https://lazytesterua.blogspot.com/2016/11/my-definition-of-testing-0.html
    Thank you for commenting it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Can Code, Can't Code, Is Useful

The Association for Software Testing is crowd-sourcing a book,  Navigating the World as a Context-Driven Tester , which aims to provide  responses to common questions and statements about testing from a  context-driven perspective . It's being edited by  Lee Hawkins  who is  posing questions on  Twitter ,   LinkedIn , Mastodon , Slack , and the AST  mailing list  and then collating the replies, focusing on practice over theory. I've decided to  contribute  by answering briefly, and without a lot of editing or crafting, by imagining that I'm speaking to someone in software development who's acting in good faith, cares about their work and mine, but doesn't have much visibility of what testing can be. Perhaps you'd like to join me?   --00-- "If testers can’t code, they’re of no use to us" My first reaction is to wonder what you expect from your testers. I am immediately interested in your working context and the way

Meet Me Halfway?

  The Association for Software Testing is crowd-sourcing a book,  Navigating the World as a Context-Driven Tester , which aims to provide  responses to common questions and statements about testing from a  context-driven perspective . It's being edited by  Lee Hawkins  who is  posing questions on  Twitter ,   LinkedIn , Mastodon , Slack , and the AST  mailing list  and then collating the replies, focusing on practice over theory. I've decided to  contribute  by answering briefly, and without a lot of editing or crafting, by imagining that I'm speaking to someone in software development who's acting in good faith, cares about their work and mine, but doesn't have much visibility of what testing can be. Perhaps you'd like to join me?   --00-- "Stop answering my questions with questions." Sure, I can do that. In return, please stop asking me questions so open to interpretation that any answer would be almost meaningless and certa

Not Strictly for the Birds

  One of my chores takes me outside early in the morning and, if I time it right, I get to hear a charming chorus of birdsong from the trees in the gardens down our road, a relaxing layered soundscape of tuneful calls, chatter, and chirrupping. Interestingly, although I can tell from the number and variety of trills that there must be a large number of birds around, they are tricky to spot. I have found that by staring loosely at something, such as the silhouette of a tree's crown against the slowly brightening sky, I see more birds out of the corner of my eye than if I scan to look for them. The reason seems to be that my peripheral vision picks up movement against the wider background that direct inspection can miss. An optometrist I am not, but I do find myself staring at data a great deal, seeking relationships, patterns, or gaps. I idly wondered whether, if I filled my visual field with data, I might be able to exploit my peripheral vision in that quest. I have a wide monito

Testing (AI) is Testing

Last November I gave a talk, Random Exploration of a Chatbot API , at the BCS Testing, Diversity, AI Conference .  It was a nice surprise afterwards to be offered a book from their catalogue and I chose Artificial Intelligence and Software Testing by Rex Black, James Davenport, Joanna Olszewska, Jeremias Rößler, Adam Leon Smith, and Jonathon Wright.  This week, on a couple of train journeys around East Anglia, I read it and made sketchnotes. As someone not deeply into this field, but who has been experimenting with AI as a testing tool at work, I found the landscape view provided by the book interesting, particularly the lists: of challenges in testing AI, of approaches to testing AI, and of quality aspects to consider when evaluating AI.  Despite the hype around the area right now there's much that any competent tester will be familiar with, and skills that translate directly. Where there's likely to be novelty is in the technology, and the technical domain, and the effect of

Postman Curlections

My team has been building a new service over the last few months. Until recently all the data it needs has been ingested at startup and our focus has been on the logic that processes the data, architecture, and infrastructure. This week we introduced a couple of new endpoints that enable the creation (through an HTTP POST) and update (PUT) of the fundamental data type (we call it a definition ) that the service operates on. I picked up the task of smoke testing the first implementations. I started out by asking the system under test to show me what it can do by using Postman to submit requests and inspecting the results. It was the kinds of things you'd imagine, including: submit some definitions (of various structure, size, intent, name, identifiers, etc) resubmit the same definitions (identical, sharing keys, with variations, etc) retrieve the submitted definitions (using whatever endpoints exist to show some view of them) compare definitions I submitted fro

Testers are Gate-Crashers

  The Association for Software Testing is crowd-sourcing a book,  Navigating the World as a Context-Driven Tester , which aims to provide  responses to common questions and statements about testing from a  context-driven perspective . It's being edited by  Lee Hawkins  who is  posing questions on  Twitter ,   LinkedIn , Mastodon , Slack , and the AST  mailing list  and then collating the replies, focusing on practice over theory. I've decided to  contribute  by answering briefly, and without a lot of editing or crafting, by imagining that I'm speaking to someone in software development who's acting in good faith, cares about their work and mine, but doesn't have much visibility of what testing can be. Perhaps you'd like to join me?   --00-- "Testers are the gatekeepers of quality" Instinctively I don't like the sound of that, but I wonder what you mean by it. Perhaps one or more of these? Testers set the quality sta

Vanilla Flavour Testing

I have been pairing with a new developer colleague recently. In our last session he asked me "is this normal testing?" saying that he'd never seen anything like it anywhere else that he'd worked. We finished the task we were on and then chatted about his question for a few minutes. This is a short summary of what I said. I would describe myself as context-driven . I don't take the same approach to testing every time, except in a meta way. I try to understand the important questions, who they are important to, and what the constraints on the work are. With that knowledge I look for productive, pragmatic, ways to explore whatever we're looking at to uncover valuable information or find a way to move on. I write test notes as I work in a format that I have found to be useful to me, colleagues, and stakeholders. For me, the notes should clearly state the mission and give a tl;dr summary of the findings and I like them to be public while I'm working not just w

Build Quality

  The Association for Software Testing is crowd-sourcing a book,  Navigating the World as a Context-Driven Tester , which aims to provide  responses to common questions and statements about testing from a  context-driven perspective . It's being edited by  Lee Hawkins  who is  posing questions on  Twitter ,   LinkedIn , Mastodon , Slack , and the AST  mailing list  and then collating the replies, focusing on practice over theory. I've decided to  contribute  by answering briefly, and without a lot of editing or crafting, by imagining that I'm speaking to someone in software development who's acting in good faith, cares about their work and mine, but doesn't have much visibility of what testing can be. Perhaps you'd like to join me?   --00-- "When the build is green, the product is of sufficient quality to release" An interesting take, and one I wouldn't agree with in general. That surprises you? Well, ho

Make, Fix, and Test

A few weeks ago, in A Good Tester is All Over the Place , Joep Schuurkes described a model of testing work based on three axes: do testing yourself or support testing by others be embedded in a team or be part of a separate team do your job or improve the system It resonated with me and the other testers I shared it with at work, and it resurfaced in my mind while I was reflecting on some of the tasks I've picked up recently and what they have involved, at least in the way I've chosen to address them. Here's three examples: Documentation Generation We have an internal tool that generates documentation in Confluence by extracting and combining images and text from a handful of sources. Although useful, it ran very slowly or not at all so one of the developers performed major surgery on it. Up to that point, I had never taken much interest in the tool and I could have safely ignored this piece of work too because it would have been tested by

The Best Laid Test Plans

The Association for Software Testing is crowd-sourcing a book,  Navigating the World as a Context-Driven Tester , which aims to provide  responses to common questions and statements about testing from a  context-driven perspective . It's being edited by  Lee Hawkins  who is  posing questions on  Twitter ,   LinkedIn , Mastodon , Slack , and the AST  mailing list  and then collating the replies, focusing on practice over theory. I've decided to  contribute  by answering briefly, and without a lot of editing or crafting, by imagining that I'm speaking to someone in software development who's acting in good faith, cares about their work and mine, but doesn't have much visibility of what testing can be. Perhaps you'd like to join me?   --00-- "What's the best format for a test plan?" I'll side-step the conversation about what a test plan is and just say that the format you should use is one that works for you, your coll